Teach This Summer
Join the 2018 Generation Teach Summer Teaching Fellowship
WHO YOU ARE
1. You are an undergraduate or high-school student who shares our core values and our commitment to ending educational inequity.
2. You value contributing to a diverse community of learners who challenge and support one another.
3. You want to invest your summer in the success of others. As a GT Summer Teaching Fellow, you will focus on your middle-school students - their experiences and their success.
4. You are eager to receive feedback and coaching to become the teacher your students deserve.
WHY YOU ARE HERE
You believe all kids deserve teachers who share their experiences, backgrounds, and communities.
You may be committed to a career in education or you may want to try teaching. About 25% of GT fellows are majoring or minoring in education; the rest of you are figuring out if teaching is for you.
You want to have a highly structured, strongly mentored opportunity to decide whether to join or prepare for our most important profession.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
1. Complete 2 weeks of training in identity, relationships, instructional practices, and content-area pedagogy while building a loving community of colleagues, practicing teaching, and preparing to meet your students.
2. Teach middle-school math, engineering, reading, or social studies; design and teach fitness, language, humanities, or STEM electives; co-lead fun events and community meetings during our 4- or 5-week GT STEAM Academy.
3. Receive daily feedback and support from your Teacher Coach and a taxable scholarship to offset living costs.
4. Join the GT Alumni Community and receive individual career counseling.
WHERE AND WHEN YOU WILL TEACH
June 4 - July 20
June 18 - July 27
June 25 - August 10
June 25 - August 10
Local district and charter schools host our programs. You teach in the schools your students attend, in the neighborhoods where they live, in cities where you grew up or attend school, and in the communities you may choose to serve professionally.
Applications are due January 5, February 5, March 5, April 5, or May 5. Fellowships fill quickly, so apply for the earliest possible deadline to increase your chances of teaching your first-choice academic subject in your first-choice city.
We review and respond to all applications within four weeks of each application deadline. You will receive either an interview invitation or a decision notification.
AFTER YOUR GT SUMMER
When you are a college senior, we provide individual career counseling and support through your job application process. All alumni are eligible to receive letters of recommendation, monthly alumni newsletters, and ongoing support, as requested.