Summer Teaching Fellowships
Generation Teach offers summer teaching fellowships to diverse undergraduate and high-school students.
WHO WE ARE
We have 40 years of combined experience leading summer teaching fellowships. We partner with local communities to build diverse pipelines of exemplary educators who reflect the students and communities we serve.
Every summer, we learn with and from our fellows, professional teachers, and students. Learn and grow with us this summer!
WHY WE EXIST
We believe teachers should reflect the communities they serve.
On average, our summer teaching fellows are:
- 75% people of color
- 60% Black and/or Latinx
- 75% local - they grew up or attend college in our communities
- 40% First Gen
We believe many more young people would become teachers if they had the opportunity to try teaching. We are committed to investing a new generation of prospective teachers in our most important profession. Our fellows are the teachers in their classrooms. They complete 40 - 60 hours of solo teaching experience with daily coaching.
After the summer, we provide individual career counseling. To date, 67% of our alumni have pursued teaching, and 76% have pursued careers in education.
WHAT WE DO
1. Recruit undergraduate and high-school students who represent the diversity and excellence of the students and communities we serve.
2. Provide summer teaching fellowships, featuring 2 weeks of training and 4 - 5 weeks of teaching middle-school students while receiving daily coaching from professional teachers.
3. Develop professional teachers as coaches and leaders to support our teaching fellows during their fellowships.
4. Admire our middle-school students who achieve an average of 2 months of reading growth and 5 months of math growth in our rigorous 5-week GT STEAM Academy.
5. Place teaching fellow alumni in teaching positions in partner schools.